Peacemaking in the Franciscan tradition is a Gospel alternative in today's cultural values of domination, wealth, and status. It sees peace as a way of life rather than as a goal. It activates change by prayer and by living a simple, non-violent way of life through spirituality, education, the arts, and communication. This is the vision to which the Franciscan Sisters and their Associates commit themselves.
We believe in a God of Wisdom, Beauty, and Goodness, who is Creator of all things.
We believe that all creation is in relationship in and through Jesus Christ.
We believe that a simple, non-violent life originates in Jesus Christ and continues in the tradition of Clare and Francis of Assisi.
We believe that the sacredness of each human person and of the earth
leads logically to non-violent, mutually affirming relationships.
We believe that the Third Millennium
must be dedicated to simple, non-violent living.
We believe that women, children, the economically poor,
and the earth suffer from the absence of a simple,
non-violent way of life.
We believe that non-violence is a Franciscan way
of seizing the moral initiative,
breaking the cycle of humiliation,
exposing injustices of systems and cultures,
and claiming the power of truth.
We believe that simple, non-violent living requires creativity,
We believe that the desire for peace as a way of life connects persons of different religious traditions and cultures toward a profound and powerful realization of the Reign of God for the Third Millennium.
humor, moral imagination, trust,
and a willingness to suffer
rather than retaliate.
As Franciscan Sisters of Peace, we believe that we can stir and encourage the imagination and create the concrete responses to violence needed in our lives today.
We commit to educating toward a lifestyle characterized by the Christian and Franciscan perspective of simplicity and non-violence in a global community.
Peacemaking is the charism of our Community. As our ongoing mission in this regard, we:
- continue the peacemaking features of the ministries of the Sisters and Associates in the Newsletter of the Franciscan Sisters of Peace;
- establish a regular column in the Newsletter for educating about simplicity and non-violence;
- develop knowledge of and access to resources and reference materials that can be used for programs in the home, community, and classroom.
- recite daily the Pax Christi Peace Prayer and encourage others to do so.
Along with our life of prayer and our commitment to social justice, we look to the arts as a means of stimulating imagination, humor, sensitivity, and a
moral voice about peacemaking. We:
In the tradition and spirit of Saint Francis, we pray for peace and strive to develop it in our own hearts and lives as well as to bring it to the lives of those with whom we minister.
- endorse art forms of music, video, dance, etc. to share stories of peace;
- teach and encourage others in similar projects;
- work towards the creation of violence-free areas and violence-free responses in our everyday lives;
- network with other persons and organizations to promote peace.
If you would like information on our charism of peacemaking, contact:
Franciscan Sisters of Peace
20 Ridge Street
Haverstraw, NY 10927-1198
or The Congregation Secretary at: